[TriLUG] Reply-To munging

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 8 22:36:59 EST 2002

We have voted on this issue twice.  The last time, "Leave it the way it is"
won overwhelmingly.

(it won by 2-1 the first time we voted).

I personally want to nominate Mike Johnson's original reply as going in our
FAQ.  It was "spot on!"  (and I saved it incase you need it Bill - though
it is in our archives now...)

The reason Kevin wants to put on the chair hat is that some of us older
folks who have lived through this debate twice already get a little tired
of it.

The list policy is set by the Steering Committee so he has every "right" to
put on the chair hat.  Of course the SC is only the administrative arm of
the group and does bow to any overwhelming majority.  In this case, I'm
fairly certain that the overwhelming majority of folks still want the list
left alone.

Personally the lists I subscribe to run about 50/50 on the reply-to.  The
older list don't, and the newer ones do.  I cope either way.

I really like the reply to being the list.  I have seen that it fosters
discussion (such as this one!), and more importantly, it defaults answers
and questions to the list.
Ultimately this list is a tool for helping all those who subscribe.  Having
the answers and questions spread about to everyone, is what TriLUG is all
about!

Jon Carnes
===