[TriLUG] Reply-To munging

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Jan 8 23:15:15 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 22:36, Jon Carnes wrote:
> We have voted on this issue twice.  The last time, "Leave it the way it is"
> won overwhelmingly.
>
> (it won by 2-1 the first time we voted).

Then I will bow to the "overwhelming majority"...

> I personally want to nominate Mike Johnson's original reply as going in our
> FAQ.  It was "spot on!"  (and I saved it incase you need it Bill - though
> it is in our archives now...)

Well, I still disagree with his points, but I'm not the FAQ maintainer.
BTW, as long as we're talking about list stuff, would it be possible
to setup a cron job that automatically sends the faq to the list every
month or so.  If you want, you can just point me to where the text
version of the faq lives on fatalpha and I'll setup the cron script
myself (so it's less work for the SC).

> The reason Kevin wants to put on the chair hat is that some of us older
> folks who have lived through this debate twice already get a little tired
> of it.

Sorry.  I wasn't on the list for that discussion and hadn't realized it
had been discussed before.  Mea Culpa.

> The list policy is set by the Steering Committee so he has every "right" to
> put on the chair hat.  Of course the SC is only the administrative arm of
> the group and does bow to any overwhelming majority.  In this case, I'm
> fairly certain that the overwhelming majority of folks still want the list
> left alone.

I never doubted Kevin's right to put the chair hat on.  I disagree,
however, with heavy handed, from on high, tactics and think that if
people want to discuss something, as long as it's not too far off-topic,
they should be able to discuss it.

> Personally the lists I subscribe to run about 50/50 on the reply-to.  The
> older list don't, and the newer ones do.  I cope either way.
>
> I really like the reply to being the list.  I have seen that it fosters
> discussion (such as this one!), and more importantly, it defaults answers
> and questions to the list.
> Ultimately this list is a tool for helping all those who subscribe.  Having
> the answers and questions spread about to everyone, is what TriLUG is all
> about!

Very well.  If Jon can cope, then I guess so can I. :-)  I guess
we now return the list back to its regularly scheduled programming...

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989