[TriLUG] Good web sites for sysadmin's (and one magazine)

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Jan 9 10:21:47 EST 2002

rpjday asks
> a better question might be -- what are the best web sites that
> contain good info, tutorials, etc.

http://rootprompt.org is a great place to start.  Sort of like Slashdot but
with much more USEFUL articles that you should be able to read at work and
consider it productive reading.

But a lot of it depends on what flavor of UNIX you are using.

There are tons of Linux sites out there, and it's no problem to track them
down.

Solaris sites I have a few of but I have a feeling I must be missing the
really good ones considering the size of the Solaris community.  On the
upside, Sun's web site has a lot of great content out there on their own
site.  http://www.solariscentral.org/ is one of the better ones I have found
for community-run sites.

HP-UX is baffling me in that the community doesn't seem to be there at all.
I signed up for what appeared to be the most popular mailing list and it is
largely slow and useless.  Also haven't found any community web sites about
it.  AIX seems to have a similarly elusive community (or none at all).

The BSD's are pretty well represented.  http://www.daemonnews.org ,
http://www.deadly.org , http://www.bsdtoday.com , http://bsdvault.net/ (slow
site but has potential) ,

**MOST IMPORTANTLY** if you are a sysadmin and you don't subscribe to
Sysadmin Magazine, you NEED to.  This magazine usually pays for its annual
subscription in one issue.  They do a good job of staying aware of what
their readers are doing, and covering it.  In fact much of their content is
reader-submitted.