[TriLUG] yes, TriLUG has more than one mailing list

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 13:12:19 EST 2002

Very good points, some of which are already in progress.

On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 11:42  AM, rpjday wrote:

> i really think the web site could use a reorganization to make the
> most useful info available more obviously.  as examples:
>
> 1) there's no reason for *old* meeting info to be listed right
>   on the home page.  more to the point, this is pretty much the
>   same info that you see under "Meetings."
>
> 2) the same point can be made about "Events", which contains
>   nothing but old events.  again, more to the point, it's not clear
>   how you're supposed to choose between "Meetings", "Events" or
>   "Installfests" when there appears to be redundancy between these
>   headings.  is an installfest an event?  is a meeting an event?

I agree whole heartedly.  In the PHP/MySQL version I have worked on.
There is a division between meeting and event.  An event is anything
that is not a meeting, that includes installfests.  Right now the test
version's home page lists the prior 3 months of announcements.  The
seperated out pages will do something similar so you are not bombarded
by listings.

> 3) what's a "Communication" anyway?  ah, once you get there, you
>   find it's a reference to the trilug mailing list.  any reason
>   why it couldn't just have been called "Mailing lists"?

That may very well be a better title.  Look to see it changed :)

> 4) on the same topic, what's a "Resources"?  does this mean general
>   linux resources?  specifically trilug resources?  once again,
>   once you get there, it's a bunch of links to useful sites.
>   anything wrong with calling this "Cool sites"?

I am unhappy with the Resources section and have been debating how best
to set it up.  Any thoughts?

> perhaps now is a good time for trilugers to suggest just what it
> is they would like www.trilug.org to be for them.  suggestions?
>
> rday

Yet again another excellent point.  The steering committee is very
interested in everything that is desired of the webpage and elsewhere.
I want to apologize for not having the new web page set up yet.  Things
were going well and I was into the final cleanup and modifications,
security concerns and I have had some personal emergencies pull me away
from the work I was doing.  I have not had time to get back into it, but
hope to soon.  For what it's worth I was hoping for this to be set up
before January's meeting, but that has not transpired.

Bill