[TriLUG] Wireless Access Points/Routers

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Jan 11 07:27:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 04:10, Bill Vinson wrote:
> dependable and able to handle a workload.  Some reviews I have read
> refer to problems with large files and since I tend to work with ISOs
> then that could be a problem.  I have a feeling my uses will mirror the
> general TriLUG users :)

Well, except you use that IBook thing. *grin*

> 1.	Linux/Mac compatible (Usually if Linux compatible then it will work
> with Macs too)
> 2.	Reliable.  No regular power cycling required
> 3.	Don't care about WEP, just MAC filtering as I will use ssh and ssl
> probably
> 4.	Available under $200 (WAP should be much less, wireless router
> could go up to $200)

OK, From what I've seen, the LinkSys will do all of this. And it comes
highly recommended from everyone I know who has used it.

I absolutely adore the Apple Airport Hub, and as soon as we're in a
slightly better place with our personal $$, I plan on replacing the one
I have to give back to webZ with a used one from eBay.

Option 2, and one I'm going to experiment with, is to add a pcmcia->pci
card to one of your PCs, and put an 802.11b card into that, and use a
desktop machine as the WAP. Costs less than an AP, although hardware
support can be tricky. Requires knowledge of IPTables (or IPChains). If
this works, I can use the desktop as a WAP until I can afford a new
Airport Hub, and when I get the hub, I can turn around and move the card
to another desktop machine in the house.

Anyway, HTH, YMMV, etc, etc *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001