[TriLUG] an increasingly annoying trend at trilug meetings

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Jan 11 07:55:33 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 06:39, rpjday wrote:
>   i figure that, given my typical lack of political correctness

We expect nothing less. Sometimes, the most biting comments are the most
accurate, even when we don't want to hear them.

>   last night's meeting was pretty much par for the course, with
> what should have taken i estimate 15-20 minutes discussing the state
> of the LUG, dragging on for i would guess close to an hour as every
> single useful and informative comment seemed to be followed by several
> impromptu, humorous followups by various audience members.

On the one hand, yes, I felt the discussion did go on a bit longer than
I would have liked (and yes, this was something I could have been a bit
more aggressive about), but I also felt that there were some valuable
nuggets in there.

Oh, and the meeting topic was "State of the LUG" - and I think some of
the things that we talked about after you left were very valuable, like
the potential to host LPI cert tests at a discount later this year, some
more fund raising ideas, and some meeting topic ideas.

>   in my opinion, it's time to take trilug meetings by the scruff
> of the neck and drag them to some semblance of organization and
> professionalism.  there should be a agenda and, more to the point,
> it should be followed.  keep the distractions and interruptions to
> a minimum, and let's get on with business.

So, in all honesty, how would you go about this? One of the reasons
people attend TriLUG meetings is because our meetings are interesting,
informative, and somewhat (I think) fun. While we do have a general idea
as to how things should flow, each speaker has a different way of
presenting. I like a much looser approach, while others prefer a
flat-out lecture.

All that being said, we have tried to keep things to an agenda, but it
doesn't always work out that way. I doubt it always will, unless you're
proposing we institute a timekeeper and a "hall monitor" system to keep
things on track - which, IMHO, would probably result in less people
coming to meetings, which is, all in all, a Bad Thing(TM).

>   ok, so is there anyone i *haven't* irritated by now?  i'd hate
> to feel like i was leaving anyone out. :-)

I kinda with you had sent it to setting at trilug.org instead of the main
list, but that's just me. Input is input, and negative input (in this
case) can be just as valuable as positive input.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001