[TriLUG] Re: RH 7.1 on ThinkPad T21 hanging

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Fri Jan 11 14:24:07 EST 2002

Jonathan Magid wrote:

> My experience shows that the lockups on late-model thinkpads
> is just the console. You can login remotely and (usually)
> reboot the machine. Just killing X doesn't clear it. After
> hearing about problems with gpm alongside X on these machines,
> I've tried it without it and I've had few problems since.

Buggrit!  Millenium hand and shrimp!  Everything was fine for
a couple of days after I disabled gpm, but it just hung again.
(With a different screensaver hack on the screen this time.)
It's definitely *not* a hard hang, since I could log in to
reboot it.

Is there any way to get the display back when this happens?
I think I just damaged a couple of chapters I was writing
because I couldn't reach the StarOffice gui to close them..

Thanks!
--
#ken	P-)}