[TriLUG] Flowe Desktop Demo - Thank you

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:43:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 16:32, Tan T. Phan wrote:
> As for the actual work on Flowe Desktop and its foundation technology, I
> did all of the work -- nights and weekends from 1988 to 2000, and
> full-time in 2001. There are only about 500K lines of C++ code for the
> product -- quite slim compared to many Linux projects.

I had some questions I didn't ask last night. On the assumption that
you're hanging around here enough to answer them for the list...

1) While I can agree that Flowe seems to match in many ways the Win9x
experience, do you have plans to mimic WinXP? I recently had some
run-ins with WinXP and the guts of the OS are even *MORE* hidden from
the user by default. Since many users won't change from the default, it
seems to me to be a gargantuan task to get Linux up to that level of
abstraction. Have you thought about this at all? If so, could you share
those thoughts with us?

2) What kinds of feelings do *you* have personally about the code and
the license it will have? I realize that if someone buys it from you,
then it could very well be GPLed or locked up or something inbetween.
How would you want it to go, if you could decide and still get paid what
you want to get paid?

3) You touched briefly on porting last night. How much have you
investigated porting to other UNIX-ish systems? I'm curious, by asking
this, about whether there are any Linux idiosyncrasies built into Flowe
that would be problematic when going to another system, like one of the
BSDs.

That's it, for now. :^) Hope you can take a second to post some

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\