[TriLUG] an increasingly annoying trend at trilug meetings

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jan 12 04:16:47 EST 2002

On Saturday 12 January 2002 01:31 am, Craig Duncan wrote:
> If there were more order during the meetings, there would be more time for
> social interaction at the end.

+1

I've only been to one meeting so far (working in Raleigh and living in Wake
Forest makes our meeting venue inconvenient unless I have that day off).  The
banter during the intro/talk that many of you appreciate isn't really
"socializing" for a newcomer.  I had been on the list for almost a year, but
I couldn't match faces to names with random comments from the crowd.

If the presentation had been more focused and less interrupted, I feel that I
could have spent more time after the talk actually *meeting* other members.
You know, not "vi sucks" and such, but "Where do you work?", "What did you
think of the LOTR movie?", and "I'd never recommend a vi maniac for an
position at my company, Andrew!"

Really, how does an individual go from an active member of the list to a
comfortable member of the LUG with our current meeting format?  That's why
voted for the PGP/GPG talk and key signing where we each verify everyone.
It's a great way to find out, "Oh, so you're rpjday!" without having to go
around the room asking random people if they know which one he is.

---Tom