[TriLUG] trilug meetings

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sat Jan 12 13:58:18 EST 2002

(drat it all, and I said I was going to stay out of this flamefest... oh
well, this is completely non-inflammatory and I'm continuing not to
touch the thread otherwise :)

On Saturday, January 12 2002, Tom Bryan said:
> On Saturday 12 January 2002 11:25 pm, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > Tom Bryan wrote:
> > > But, it's not really fun for a loner who comes to a meeting
> > > for the first time.  (S)he knows a lot of people from the
> > > list, but can't match faces to names.
> >
> > So how about a section on the Web site where people can
> > post a pic and a brief comment?
>
> I thought of that.  That would at least helps the "names and faces" problem.
> It still doesn't help the "introductions" issue, but it would help a new
> member to introduce himself to people with whom he had actually been
> corresponding.  It becomes
> "Hi, XXXXX.  I'm YYYYYY.  Thanks for that ZZZZZZ."
> instead of
> "Hello.  I'm YYYYY.  It's my first meeting, and I'm mingling."

What we do at the LUG at NCSU (where this is also something of a problem
and where it gets brought up every once in a while) as far as making
people known is that we have the dreaded fun of introductions.  Yes, we
go around the room and I make everyone say their name, what they do (are
they a student, what are they majoring in, where do you work if not,
etc), and what brought you to come to the meeting.  Regulars hate it,
but the new people appreciate it I think.  It at least helps with the
not knowing who anyone is bit.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D