[TriLUG] Re: TriLUG digest, Vol 1 #160 - 41 msgs

Michael Czeiszperger czei at webperformanceinc.com
Sun Jan 13 14:07:59 EST 2002

On Saturday 12 January 2002 12:01 pm, you wrote:
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:30:22 -0500 (EST)
> From: rpjday <rpjday at mindspring.com>
> To: TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> Subject: [TriLUG] just to clarify a few points about meetings ...

> a lot of the more recent trilug meetings rapidly
> broke down into a rambling, unfocused conversation involving
> the speaker and random members of the audience.

> [...] but you shouldn't confuse
> free format and interactive with rambling and unfocused.

>  [...] a number of people (eg., chuck, ben) have said they like the
> notion of getting out, just having a social evening.  fair
> enough, but the way the meetings work these days actually
> *minimizes* the potential for social interaction.

I would go even further than that. As someone who's only been to a few
meetings, I find that the free format isn't liberating, but rather allows the
more outspoken members of the group to hold the rest hostage for an unlimited
amount of time. Instead of being a social evening, its an antisocial battle
of geek egos. What might be fun in a small group just doesn't work for 30 or
more.

If you're really interested in socializing, the InternetWorkers group does a
great job. We meet at a different bar or restaurant every month and just
talk. No format, no agenda, just dinner and drinks. Its a great chance to
check out a different place every month all over the triangle.
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers

The other group I belong to is the Java User's Group, and I've been to about
90% of the meetings in the past 5 years. Personally I find that having a
regular schedule is liberating rather than confining. There's an hour to
socialize before the presentation, the pizza arrives on time, and the
presenter is allowed to give the talk without being heckled. If you really
want to discuss the finer points of the talk you can hang around for 1/2
hour, or head for a bar. At least one post complained there wasn't a JUG
community, but I've met lots of people there who became friends.
http://www.trijug.org

Note that I've met some very friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful individuals
at LUG meetings, and if the LUG members like the meeting format, then you
certainly don't have to change to be like other groups. T

Michael Czeiszperger