[TriLUG] earthlink PPP dialup

Nathan Conrad conrad at cs.unc.edu
Sun Jan 13 21:00:52 EST 2002

Errol,

For me, PPP has been no problem. I have used various PPP configuration
scripts that came with various distributations (wvdial, kppp, and
Debian pppconfig). All three worked well for me. Make sure that you
have the proper kernel modules installed (or built into the
kernel). Also, make sure that your username is correct (Various ISPs
such as Mindspring require the full e-mail address as the username
(such as joe at mindspring.com)). Another problem is that the PPP program
does not know which port to use. Make sure that /dev/ppp is a symlink
to the proper place (Usually /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1). Open up a
terminal emulator such as minicom and make sure that the modem
responds. The 'AT' command should make the modem send OK as a response
if all is well.

-Nathan