[TriLUG] Outline for proposed Linux for Business presentation.

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sun Jan 13 23:28:56 EST 2002

Ann Marie said:

> Anyway, about the outline: one thing I've heard mentioned - I can't
> remember by whom - is that it's important to know that Linux sysadmins
> are out there and hireable (even more than the several excellent TriLug
> members who've mentioned they're looking).

Ah well you asked at a bad time.  I seem to be the only one.  ;-)

> Would it be possible to
> mention sources and availability of linux experts and employees, maybe
> giving statistics from job boards or the like?  Just to be able to say,
> "you can hire someone to help you, and if they leave, you can find
> someone else this way" - that way there's less risk to the business?
> Maybe sources of contractors?

TriLUG is an excellent pool to hire out of.  I have found my previous job,
and quite likely my next job, through TriLUG.  I have hired people that I
knew from TriLUG.  There is so much experience and talent here, it is an
excellent resource to point hiring managers to if they require someone with
some Linux expertise.

> Also, although I realize that too much detail threatens to turn this
> into a whole separate presentation, perhaps how to know they're getting
> a "good" expert (i.e., certification, what to look for on a resume).

It's always bothered me that certs are weighed so heavily by some companies.
Far too many people with certs can deal well with out-of-the-book scenarios
but completely lock up in the real world.  What is more important is what
has this person actually done in real world business scenarios to prove
themselves?

> One more thing: I was surprised and impressed recently to discover that
> StarOffice could be installed on both Windows and Linux.  I know,
> everyone else has known for ages, but I didn't; I just installed it on
> the (Windows) computer I donated to a non-profit group and am completely
> excited about it!

Star Office is destined for greatness.  The new version fixes a lot of
things, like removing the Star Office window manager from behind the apps.
There is talk of Sun *not* releasing it under a free license but we won't
know until it happens.  It would warm my heart to see organizations shifting
to non-proprietary document formats.

Chris