[TriLUG] Mail Server options.

Rick Steeves ricks at duke.edu
Sun Jan 13 23:55:10 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm currently working at getting to know mail servers, and towards that end
am starting in on trying to get a mail server set up for my own personal
use. Currently the box is RedHat 7.2, primarily because that's the most use
to me at work.

Everything I read about sendmail is kinda scary (not being a linux expert),
so I've been looking at other options. The two I've looked at in reasonable
depth are qmail and postfix, with a brief review of squirrelmail and exim
(which seem too limited to me).

Of them all, qmail seems more like what I want, but I thought I'd see what
experience others have had with it. Things I'd like to accomplish:
pop3 mail, web mail (both preferably with a secure connection), mailing
list, Antivirus scanning, real time blacklisting.

qmail seems to have those functions built in (a theoretical plus) or have
other apps that will accomplish that (amavis for antivirus, omail for web
mail, rbl/MAPS for blacklisting). Minuses are that some of the add-ons for
qmail appear to be only for Unix, not linux, and I don't have the knowledge
to get between the two.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Rick