[TriLUG] VNC questions -

H Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 11:16:48 EST 2002

Janyne Kizer wrote:

> No.  I am still working on it though.
>
> Hmmm, maybe I need to add service vnc-640x480x8, and so on instaed of
> servcie vnc???
>
> The machine is directly connected to the internet.  My firewall is set
> up to allow all connections from certain subnets and no connections from
> the rest of the world.  The firewall should not be the problem here

> H Brett Bolen wrote:

yes they have to match.

I have one entry in /etc/services.  just 'vnc'

I have one extra file in /etc/xinietd.d.  just 'vnc'

The other entries are for different resolutions, get the
first one up before adding complexity.

after you edit the files, then use

    killall -USR2 xinetd

to reload the configuration.  if you look into /var/log/messages, you
can see some data telling you that the config was reinitilized.

after that just telnet to the port ( mine is 5953 or
5900 + <vnc port no>) and you should see someting like

    RFB 003.003

This will tell you that the vncserver was kicked off.

reguarding firewall,

I have linksys router and NAT on my box, so nothing can
come into this box.  I don't know why /etc/hosts.allow affects
xinetd.  ( there is no tcpd, does xinetd use /etc/hosts.allow
automatically?)

security is still an issue even if it's not a service -- you have
a port open that other people can connect to ( xinted is a service).

apply security measures to taste.

b\375

ps: I've copied trilug at trilug.org