[TriLUG] Outline for proposed Linux for Business presentation.

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Mon Jan 14 16:25:22 EST 2002

[2002-01-14 14:07] A M Thomas said:
  [snip]
| I was/am personally interested in the SQL tool.  There actually is a
| sourceforge section for "hyperSQL" - maybe it's the predecessor of hsql,
| which Mr. Oliver just sent me to?  Neither does, after all, sound like
| exactly what I needed - though I'm sure they're very nice - I'm just
| making some Perl CGI front ends to some MySQL databases, am about to
| start adding relational features, looking for a generalized solution to
| save some time, and found some helpful stuff on the net - just not
| anything really "complete" and free.

A relational database is what you want.  You do not want to reimplement
relational logic in your application code, trust me ;-)

| I just wanted to be sure I wasn't wasting my time writing something that
| a) had already been written, and b) was sitting out there waiting for me
| to pick it up.  I'm pretty sure this isn't the best venue to ask around
| for suggestions here, so if anyone reading this is thinking "you have to
| try my favorite Perl/SQL tool" (I've already checked CPAN and the CGI
| resource index), please e-mail me directly - I'd love to hear about it.
| Otherwise, maybe someday when I'm done I'll have a cool tool that I'll
| share with you all.  Or maybe an unmaintainable, overgeneralized mess of
| Perl code that won't be fit for soup (or maybe not :).

I'm not inviting a mysql/postgres flamefest, but...

Please look into using postgresql if you want to manage your data.
MySQL is good for storage and retrieval of data, but not much for
managing complex data within.

Additionally, postgres has the /most/ helpful (and kind) developers
that I've ever run across in my open source travels.  Redhat is
also offering a postgresql-based product, as well as support on
their product...  If you need local help with postgres, there is
at least one local person (me ;-) who is available if you hit
problems.

  http://postgresql.org/
  http://www.redhat.com/software/database/

cheers.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman