[TriLUG] Computer Tech Wars (was Outline prop Linux for Business)

Mike McLean mamclean at eos.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 15 13:34:20 EST 2002

Kim Green wrote:
> Interesting idea...
>
> Computer Tech Wars!
>
> Actually, if we can scrape together equivalent hardware/software for 2
> teams I'm sure we could invite the local MS Users group to a friendly
> competition over watermelon and beer.  We have contact info for their LUG.

Perhaps it should not be inherently an OS battle, but a team battle.
What I mean is just have two or more teams scrounging to satisfy some
functional requirements, and leave all technique and OS choice up to
them.  So if one team wants to do all Linux, and another team wants to
use a hybrid OS/X and OpenBSD solution, they are free to do so.

I'd be willing to bet that most successful teams would be using
opensource solutions though.

As for non free software ... you might be able to get some donations.

Possible variation:
  Allow a small fund for each team (provided by said team or a sponsor
as a donation), to fill in the gaps in available equipment and/or
software.