[TriLUG] Distiller

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 15 15:29:35 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 13:12, Mark wrote:
> Is there a distiller for linux? I do a lot of ripping of postscript and
> am getting tired of running back and forth between Windows and the good
> system :-) ....

Yes, get the latest (v7.x) ghostscript and gs-fonts from

  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

and use the ps2pdf that it includes.  Works very nicely, producing pdfs
that look good on-screen as well as when printed (no more of the ugly
bitmapped fonts that earlier versions produced!).

If you're using LaTeX to produce your ps files then you'll also want to
use the following:

  dvips -Ppdf -G0 fed_reg_letter
  ps2pdf fed_reg_letter.ps

instead of your normal dvips command.