[TriLUG] DSL vs Road Runner Recomendations?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:31:36 EST 2002

>From: Ben Pitzer <uncleben at mindspring.com>

>I've also had some experience with DSL lines, and to be honest, the
>problems existed primarily with the telephone company when they
>occurred.  Bell Atlantic wasn't exactly wonderful about getting to
>Covad's DSL customers.  Not sure how Bell South might be, or how much
>better DSL has gotten in the last two years, but when we had a customer
>whose service failed, the average time to come back online was probably
>between 12-24 hours.  Not that customers had such problems often, but
>when they had them, it could take a while to fix.  Perhaps going through
>Verizon, with their connections to Bell South might make a difference.

I use BellSouth DSL myself.

Good points:

-no/few problems. So I haven't realy tested their customer service
-speed. 1.4 Mbps/350Kbps. But it depends on how close you are from their DLS
hub
-free dsl modem (ethernet) when I signed, around 16 months ago
-no closed ports

Bad points

- No fixed public IP !!!!!!!!!
- bad webmail service
- poor newsgroup service (but if has improved from "bad" to "poor" in a
year)
- a couple of times, I felt like someone was trying to install a Microsoft
DNS server... or so it seemed when I was unable to get DNS for a few hours
or so.

The IP thing *really* anoyes me. I would like to provide a mirror to my
Linux colleagues in Spain (http://www.escomposlinux.org) . But I cannot. So
far, I must use a dyndns.net redirector.

HTH

Salut,
Sinner

http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Linux Machine # 38068