[TriLUG] Security woes

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 16 10:50:46 EST 2002

Roy,

On most Red Hat 7.x installs, the iptables were set up at the outset if
you chose high security during the install process.  This means that you
can probably do anything you want going out, but coming back in,
fuggedaboutit.  Look into your iptables config (I don't remember where
it's stored on RH boxes, offhand.  Anybody?), and modify that.  You'll
probably want to add a line at the top of the list to open the
appropriate ports, and I'm sure someone here, myself included, could
help you with that if you need it.

Of course, I may be saying that to you only to find out that not only
did you check on it already, you checked some of the iptables sources
into CVS.  Just the same, I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer