[TriLUG] running X at the server console

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Jan 16 18:54:43 EST 2002

Tanner,

We're probably attacking the angle from different angles.  My professional
experience has been mostly in environments where you have a big
multiprocessor UNIX box, and a bunch of (essentially) X terminals providing
GUI access to these big hosts.  Asking the users to run a locked down UNIX
distribution on their desktop, using ssh to get in, etc. is too convoluted
for real world use for most people.

If you're running a web server or something like that, yes, I agree this
would be inappropriate.  But in the case of the more traditional use of
large UNIX hosts, this is the only practical solution.  I doubt X11
standards are under any further development right now, but if they were
maybe they ought to consider using some sort of SSL encryption on X windows
traffic (if both sides supported it of course).