[TriLUG] New Mandrake 8.1 install. but no X. HUH?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 15:13:08 EST 2002

Justin Johnson wrote:
 > so I thought I'd take a look at another distro. I don't like GUI logins, so
 > I selected console login during X config part of
 > install. but when I log in and then type startx, I get (not verbatim)
 > 'command not found'.

I recently installed ML 8.1 on a laptop.  I also prefer
a console login.  I don't remember exactly what options
I chose - but I think I switched to non-GUI login _after_
the install and everything was fine.  Somewhere (maybe
on the graphical login) there is an option to turn it
off.  Too late for this approach for you, I'm afraid :(

> Any ideas?

I'd try to re-run the installer in 'upgrade' mode and see
if you can upgrade all the desktop options (X11, KDE, etc).
Maybe they didn't get installed the first time.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com