[TriLUG] Signed keys

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 02:04:02 EST 2002

I am trying to get more informed on signing my e-mail, etc.

I am trying to figure out how to do something...

I have 2 old keys out on PGP servers.

Public Key Server -- Index ``Bill Vinson ''
Type bits/keyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/7762CAE9 2000/05/04 Bill Vinson <billvinson at nc.rr.com>
pub  1024/8CB4BF7C 1997/11/21 Bill Vinson <billv at earthlink.net>

These were both keys that I created back before I took this
seriously :)  I have a feeling I know what the passphrase is, but if I
import them and try to generate a revoke script I get the following
error:

[localhost:~/Documents] bill% gpg --output earthlink-revoke.asc
--gen-revoke billv at earthlink.net
gpg: secret key for user `billv at earthlink.net' not found

How do I get around this?  If I can get it revoked, then how do I kill
it out on the servers?

Ok, last idea.  Is it possible to crack my own keys and if so can I then
revoke them?

Thanks,
Bill