[TriLUG] NT DHCP Server woes

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Jan 18 00:47:05 EST 2002

On Friday 18 January 2002 09:35 am, Christopher Knowles wrote:

> We have an NT 4.0 Server doing DHCP serving for us.  Due to the Paranoid
> climate, moving that service is NOT an option, believe me I've tried.  The
> problem is that I can't get Linux boxen to use that DHCP server.

I've never had a problem at my office.  I hook the laptop up to the network,
turn it on, and it grabs an IP.  Whenever I've taken it from home to office
without shutting down, I explicitly ifdown the interface before unplugging
and then ifup the interface once I'm connected to the new network.

> them time out.  (Pump, DHCPcd)  Is there anything special that one has to
> do to the server to get it to serve properly,

What do the logs on the NT side say?  Is it even seeing the request?
Anything intereseting in the Linux machine's logs?

> This is only a problem for me because I have started lugging a laptop to
> home and work, and would like to plug in the built in NIC without changing
> anything or even rebooting, and dang it, it should work.

Does it work if you shut down and then boot up after plugging into the
network at work?

> Speaking of Paranoid... The lack of DHCP ability was actually used to shoot
> down the use of Linux, even though it was to be a server.  "If they can't
> get DHCP to work, who knows what else might go wrong"  Grrr...

Ew.  The IT guys at work know next to nothing about Linux (and I know next to
nothing about NT), but that wasn't a problem since it just worked.  No
tweaking or troubleshooting involved.

---Tom