[TriLUG] AOL Redhat Linux?!?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 19:29:57 EST 2002

Paul D. Boyle wrote:

> I have to disagree with you.  When a mass consumer firm buys an
> engineering firm, I think, the result hasn't been good.  Think Compaq
> buying Digital -- a perfectly good engineering firm got wasted
> in the process.  No more Alpha processor -- I know at least one
> theoretical/computational chemist who is none too pleased with that.

That is a good example.  However, I think it's important
to consider the motivation.  Compaq did not buy Digital for
the Alpha.  They bought Digital for their PC sales channel.

The question is:  Why would AOL buy RedHat?

My guess:  They are currently beholden to Microsoft - since
that's the only place that their software runs.  Remember the
battle over the AOL icon on the desktop?  How much did AOL
pay for that?  If AOL ever wants to sell the AOL-appliance,
they will have to pay M$ for every one they ship.  If they
ship a Linux-based AOL-applicance they don't.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com