[TriLUG] AOL Redhat Linux?!?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 19 21:44:53 EST 2002

<RANT>
Still, many things bothers me about this whole Linux/AOL thing and one of
which is that I don't think that AOL will ever make their software open
source for fear of some weird software from Microsoft trojan horse blasting
AOL right off the machine.. so then, to me, it's not Linux if it's not open
source.  I don't want my service provider in charge of my OS, it just gives
them too much power which is why I would never use MSN (also why I would
never use AOL if they bought Red Hat).

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here so please forgive me if I do.  I
think of AOL as the "everperson" way to connect to the Internet.  If you
don't know what "ISP" stands for then AOL might be for you.  I'm sure there
are technically competant people who use AOL but I think they are in the
vast minority compared to the people who use (real?) ISPs.  Again, I didn't
mean to step on anyone's toes and I'm sorry if I did but that is my
perception of AOL (and it could be wrong).

On another front I can't think of anything worse than forcing non computer
literate people to use Linux.  I would never dream of forcing Linux on my
parents but I suggested they use AOL - simply because it is a catch basin
for people who know how to navigate around a computer but don't know, or
don't want to know, what is going on behind the scenes of their internet
connection.  My parents and people like them using Linux?  It's just not
going to happen - nomatter how good the desktop might be.  They are going
to say "this isn't like the system I use at work, I don't understand it,
and I'm not using it".  Goodbye a large percentage of AOL customers, IMHO.

Now, on the other hand, if AOL decides to rename RoadRunner and "broadband
AOL", or something along those lines, and they decided not to choke me with
AOL crap on my internet connection and just give me an IP address I can use
then perhaps I could support this.. but I don't think they'll do that.  AOL
wants to have more customers than MSN and they will do whatever it takes -
INCLUDING filters internet traffice to point you in approved directions and
away from websites/newgroups/whatever which contain information they think
is harmful to their busines model.

If AOL buys Red Hat then RH is coming off my desktop ASAP as I'll have to
get to know another distribution.
</RANT>

Greg