[TriLUG] Sorcerer linux :)

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Jan 21 12:33:51 EST 2002

Jonathan Rippy [jonathan.rippy at interpath.net] wrote:

> After the Slashdot article on Friday, I decided to
> pull it down and give it a try.  I've tried many
> distros over the course of the past 7 years or so
> that I've been tinkering with Linux.  So far,
> Sorcerer has been the most fun to get up and
> running for me.  :)
>
> So, anyone else using Sorcerer around here? :)

Yeah, I just started giving it a shot yesterday... it's pretty
cool, actually.  The only thing that gives it a run for it's money
in the tinkering-with-the-guts category is LFS (Linux From Scratch)
which is just a document telling how to build your own linux
distro.

I'm half tempted to try LFS again, but using one of the other
packaging systems I find interesting (like Depot[1] or Stow[2],
or porting Fink[3] to a full-fledged Linux distribution rather than
an OSX add-on).

1. http://freshmeat.net/projects/depot/
2. http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnustow/
3. http://freshmeat.net/projects/fink/

Reminds me a lot of the bare-bones slakware feel but with spiffy
BSD ports auto-download.  =)

I think the naming of the tools is a tad goofy, but not so much
that it's annoying... and it definitely is up-to-date.  Yesterday
I hacked up the X package to do 4.2.0 instead of 4.1.0, by this
morning it was already officially fixed.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/