[TriLUG] PCMCIA Cardbus questions?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 21 13:21:05 EST 2002

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out if my old Fujitsu Lifebook 420D has Cardbus
support or not.  I don't think it has, but I want some verification.  It
has a Cirrus PD6729 PCI to PCMCIA bridge.  I have checked /proc without
finding anything useful.  In system output it shows the cardbus
indicator, but that is just because the Debian guys compiled cardbus
support in.  Fujitsu's support docs don't mention cardbus, but I have
found manfacturers to be less than reliable in providing good tech docs.

This is b/c I am looking at getting one of 2 Wireless cards probably...

1.	Orinoco Gold (Doesn't seem to require Cardbus.  Please correct me
if I am wrong)
2.	D-Link DWL-650 (Does require Cardbus)

Looking at turning this old laptop into an access point/wardriving toy.
No, I do not plan on trying to hack into other's wireless networks.  I
just have found the idea of locating who has wireless networks and where
they are is rather intriguing.  I have looked at all the available
access points and none are exactly what I want.  Either lack features,
performance, or good price.  So, I figured I would look into an AdHoc
access point and worse case scenario I can replace it later with a real
access point and keep the wireless card for other uses.

Thanks,
Bill