[TriLUG] PCMCIA network card startup sequence?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Jan 21 19:00:01 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 17:37, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> On my RH 6.2 laptop, I managed to frob things arouns so that
> when I insert my ORiNOCO Gold card, it automatically gets
> started with the right iwconfig settings.  Unfortunately,
> I can't seem to get the same thing to happen with my
> RH 7.1 laptop.  When I insert the card, the system rightly
> recognises it as a network card and tries to get an address,
> but none of the iwconfig settings in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
> get applied.

THL 7./1 has a bug in it where the individual slots aren't recognized by
the hotplug subsystem, and passed to the pcmcia subsystem on card
insert. This is fixed in Red Hat 7.2, as I have per-slot configs for my
Orinoco Gold card.

if you configure it specifically for

*,*,*,[mac address])
# wireless settings

in wireless.opts, it should work - but until I upgraded to 7.2, I had to
edit the file every time I changed networks. 7.2 fixes this.

> On a related note, isn't there some way to perform arbitrary
> actions after an interface comes up?  I'd like to automatically
> put my /etc/libsocks5.conf file in place whenever I come up
> on the company intranet, and make sure it's *not* there
> when I come up anywhere else.. rather than having to remember
> to cp or rm it as appropriate..

You used to be able to do this in network.opts, but I don't know where
it happens in the new hotplug setup. /etc/hotplug is where the hotplug
stuff lives, if that's any help.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9