[TriLUG] Questions about webservers

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Tue Jan 22 18:45:05 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 17:32, Matthew Hoover wrote:
> I'm trying to find out which webservers are commonly used on Linux, especially
> Red Hat 7.x distributions.  Of course Apache will be the most common, but are
> there any other webservers that people use.

Back in the olden days I used to use AOLServer
(http://www.aolserver.com) it has an internal TCL interpreter and
supports modules.  At one point I had PHP and Tomcat working with it.

There are some really cool community modules for it using either Oracle
or PostgreSQL (http://openacs.org/).  The community stuff is discussed
in a lot of detail in Philip Greenspun's book
(http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/).  ArsDigita
(http://www.arsdigita.com) did a lot of the original work, but it looks
like they have some sort of Java App now.

And if you want to try out the community system without AOLServer, there
is a mod_aolserver for Apache
(http://www.arsdigita.com/free-tools/mod_aolserver).

--
John Beimler