[TriLUG] Limit ssh access

Al Koscielny alko at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 22 19:33:49 EST 2002

> ..which leads to another question: If RH 7.2 supports both ipchains
> and iptables, and my 7.2 install defaulted to ipchains, iptables is
> considered the latest and greatest and is the future ( whereas
> ipchains is the present/past ).  I do understand that I have to use
> one or the other..

iptables is new with the 2.4 kernel.  The Linux NAG says
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-firewall.future.html#AEN8603

"The two netfilter kernel modules called ipfwadm.o and ipchains.o provide
backward compatibility for ipfwadm and ipchains. You may load only one of
these modules at a time, and use one only if the ip_tables.o module is not
loaded. When the appropriate module is loaded, netfilter works exactly like
the former firewall implementation."

ipchains would be used with a 2.2 kernel, and could be used with a 2.4 kernel
if you want to avoid developing iptables rules to replace existing ipchains
rules.  It's not a simple conversion from ipchains rules to iptables rules.

--
Al Koscielny
alko at nc.rr.com