[TriLUG] TurboTax for the web and linux

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 11:00:21 EST 2002

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 08:27 pm, you wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Last year I did our taxes on TurboTax for the Web from a linux machine
> (debian potato, then running probably Netscape 4.0x or something like
> that). I tried to do so again this year and found that they've turned it
> off for any non-Windows/Mac browser.  Questions:
>
> - Any ideas for devious, or not-so-devious, ways to get around this?
> - Any ideas for convincing them to change policies?

I checked the site out.  They are saying that a Netscape 4.06 and higher (not
4.6) is supported.  I have a 4.61 loaded on a RH 6.1 box.  It did not work.
The latest release of Netscape for Linux 2.2 is 4.78.

What floored me is that Linux 2.4 is not supported by Netscape.  What's up
with that?

Anybody got a Netscape 4.06 and up (excluding 4.6) they can click into
http://www.turbotax.intuit.com/welcome/perm/icomnews/welcome.htm
and report results? You've got to click on "Use TurboTax 1040" to complete
the test.  Success would be to NOT get the message about not supporting your
browser.

Mike