[TriLUG] Upgrade to RH 7.2, no gcc>2.96 update from Red Hat

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Wed Jan 23 06:32:37 EST 2002

Right, so I upgraded my laptop from RH 7.1 to 7.2, and
then the kernel 2.4.2 to 2.4.9-13.  All appears hunky-dory
so far, but VMware said it need to build a new kernel
module.

Cool enough.  But when I told it to go ahead, it brought
up the gritch (which I had forgotten) about gcc 2.96 not
being officially supported by the kernel devos.  So I looked
on RH's update site, but they have nothing newer (though it's
been a few months now).

What is the appropriate thing to do?  Stick with 2.96,
up/downgrade to some other version, wait for RH to supply
an update RPM?
--
#ken	P-)}