[TriLUG] Upgrade to RH 7.2, no gcc>2.96 update from Red Hat

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Jan 23 08:40:48 EST 2002

Rodent of Unusual Size [Ken.Coar at golux.com] wrote:
> Cool enough.  But when I told it to go ahead, it brought
> up the gritch (which I had forgotten) about gcc 2.96 not
> being officially supported by the kernel devos.  So I looked
> on RH's update site, but they have nothing newer (though it's
> been a few months now).
>
> What is the appropriate thing to do?  Stick with 2.96,
> up/downgrade to some other version, wait for RH to supply
> an update RPM?

I'm doubting RH will supply an updated RPM before 8.x; they definitely
fix bugs in their current codebase, but they don't change things like
compilers across minor versions.

On the other hand, 2.96-84 is very solid and does not have the bugs
that caused the original uproar about them releasing a compiler
early.  Just make sure you've got the latest updates and you're fine.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/