[TriLUG] TurboTax for the web and linux

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 23 09:32:37 EST 2002

Hello

Opera 5 set to appear as IE or Netscape diddn't work either.  I doubt Opera
6 willl work either.

JD

Andrew Perrin <andrew_perrin at unc.edu>@trilug.org on 01/23/2002 08:51:22 AM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:    trilug-admin at trilug.org

To:    trilug at trilug.org
cc:
Subject:    Re: [TriLUG] TurboTax for the web and linux

My assumption is that they're not checking the browser or version, but
rather the OS. I say that because:

1.) The screen that pops up lists Windows and Mac browsers
specifically; and
2.) From memory of last year's return, once one logged into the system the
URLS contained strings that included, for example, "nn4_ux". When I work
from my wife's Windows machine now, they include "nn4_w98" or something
along those lines. So my guess is they've simply decided to drop the
_ux-enabled ones.

I filed a bug with TurboTax; no response yet.  I will see if I can get
Konqueror up and running and will let you know if it works to change the
browser ID string.

This practice, of course, flies in the face of the whole point of web
apps, which are supposed to be cross-platform. Sheesh.

ap

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA