[TriLUG] Questions about webservers

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 12:18:05 EST 2002

>I'm trying to find out which webservers are commonly used on Linux,
>especially
>Red Hat 7.x distributions.  Of course Apache will be the most common,
>but are
>there any other webservers that people use.  I tried to find a version
>of iPlanet
>that would run on Red Hat 7.x, but it appears that the last Red Hat
>release that
>iPlanet supports is 6.2.  Anyone have a favorite web server to
>recommend?
>Thanks for the help,
>--matt hoover

Clarify whether you need an AppServer or just a webserver or combo.  Be
Aware that iPlanet is Netscape Enterprise Server revised.  In its hey
day NES was the top webserver for stability etc.

Is there a specific reason why you'd rather use something other then
Apache?  Apache's benefits are cost, cost, stability and security.
(Security meaning it has had far less serious in number and frequency of
exploits than many other web servers).  So unless you have something
that requires Apache 2.0 functionality (threading etc) in a Apache 1.3
state of maturity, stick with Apache especially on Linux.

You could also choose WebSphere but I'd advise against it.  Its a bear
to install on anything but windows, and its not a particular pleasure to
administrate.  ITs also ....big .....very ...very ...big

For statistical resources try www.netcraft.com.

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com