[TriLUG] Questions about webservers

Matthew Hoover matth at haht.com
Wed Jan 23 13:59:47 EST 2002

From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver at nc.rr.com>
> Clarify whether you need an AppServer or just a webserver or combo.  Be
> Aware that iPlanet is Netscape Enterprise Server revised.  In its hey
> day NES was the top webserver for stability etc.

I work on a cross-platform Application Server, and we are updating the list
of
supported Linux web servers.  I asked the question to make sure that there
isn't
a new web server for Linux that we have missed.  It's a shame that iPlanet
dosen't seem to support later Linuxes.

> Is there a specific reason why you'd rather use something other then
> Apache?  Apache's benefits are cost, cost, stability and security.
> (Security meaning it has had far less serious in number and frequency of
> exploits than many other web servers).  So unless you have something
> that requires Apache 2.0 functionality (threading etc) in a Apache 1.3
> state of maturity, stick with Apache especially on Linux.

The reason that I was looking for something other than Apache is that we
know that Apache will be supported, so I didn't want to get a lot of replies
saying use Apache.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, it will help me in my
discussions
with management about what to support.
--matt hoover