[TriLUG] printer configurations

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Wed Jan 23 18:30:28 EST 2002

Of those, I would go with B.  I have had great success running a "windows"
driver only printer connected to a Linux server running samba.  I set up
two print queues on the Linux server (RH 7.2) one for the Linux computers
(found out the my printer happened to be able to emulate, with reduce
functions, an HP Laser jet) that has filters for the Linux printing, and
another queue for windows use that is a raw connection (no filters).  The
windows queue is setup to be shared using samba(so it looks like a windows
printer share).  That way I can use the windows print drivers to format the
output on the windows boxes and still print to the Linux/samba print server
with out loss of functions.  And I get the benefit of the stability of
Linux as the print server.

Choice A well, I just see win98 locking up often....

Choice C might also be a nice choice, it may have it's own print server
built in (no need for one on Linux or windows)

Choice D, well it's cheap, but why resort to sneaker net.