[TriLUG] linux kernel problem

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Jan 23 21:36:02 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 14:12, JEvans at Cyveillance.com wrote:
> I saw your post on the trilug.org mail archive where you ran into a problem
> something like this:
*trim*
> I'm having the exact same error (the ext3 stuff spits out "unresolved
> symbol" for a ton of different symbols just prior to this section).  The
> solution someone suggested on the list was to run mkinitrd -- I've already
> done this with no luck.  Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

It sounds like you ran mkinitrd, but didn't tell the kernel & bootloader
where to find the initrd you created.

In /etc/grub.conf it's something like this :

# My 2.4.17 kernel
# Just edit grub.conf and reboot!
title Linux (2.4.17-2)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 ro root=/dev/hda2
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.17.img

In lilo.conf it's a little different :
# My 2.4.17
# be sure to run lilo -v after modifying lilo.conf!
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.17.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda2

In both cases, I ran :

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.17.img 2.4.17

as root before rebooting to 2.4.17.

HTH, YMMV, HAND, etc, etc

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9