[TriLUG] printer configurations

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 23 22:37:59 EST 2002

> > B. printer connected by Parallel port to linux box; w98 prints to linux box
> > acting as print server
>
> You'd need to get an "LPD" driver for the win98 boxes, but this should
> work fine.  You might have problems supporting the advanced features of
> the printer, however... A or C would be better if you need the advanced
> features.

There is no need for an LPD driver under this option.  Just share the
printer under Samba, and Windows and set it up just fine.  I'm using
this configuration in my own home network, and got it set up just
beautifully with an HP LaserJet 6P.  This is not that hard to set up,
and so long as you have the correct printer files, it works like a
charm.  Those come with ghostscript, so make sure that is installed, and
look into www.linuxprinting.org for more info on your particular
printer.

> > C. get Ethernet card for printer; still need to choose a print server? both
> > W98 and linux box?
>
> You wouldn't really need either box to be a print server; assuming the
> Ethernet card for the printer is "JetDirect" compatible, the printer gets
> its own IP address, and each client connects directly to it.  Plain
> vanilla Win98 doesn't include a driver to do this, but there are scads
> available (and one will come with the printer's Ethernet card for sure).
>
> I'd vote for this solution.  We use it in my department and it works fine.
> I can print from several Linux boxes, from win98 within Win4Lin, and my
> co-workers print from Win98 native with no problems.  The win98
> clients can access all the advanced features, too.  (Our specific
> printer is a Lexmark, however.)
>
> > D. Keep W98 and Linux separate; move printer from w98 to Linux box when
> > necessary

Allow me to propose an option E:  Buy a digital parallel port switch and
use that.  That way you install the printer as local on both machines,
yet both can print to the device just the same.  Only snafu is that (I
believe) you'd get 'device busy' errors if the other machine is printing
when you try to print.  I could be wrong.  Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Ben Pitzer