[TriLUG] printer configurations

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 02:25:45 EST 2002

Thanks for all the replies.  I went off to samba.org and did some reading at
the introductory level.

Option B  gives me the last nudge I needed to dig into Samba.  I've been
swapping files between machines on the LAN with ftp like I was running circa
1978 Unix.  Samba will pull me into modern times of print and file serving.

I liked the print server idea but I feel I really must try to make use of
idle parallel ports I have and save $$$$.  In researching available boxes I
found the Linksys Gigadrive 20 that uses RH Linux inside and it supports
Samba.  It's a NAS for $600.  I found another Linksys box that did print
serving only for about $169.  The HP box was about $249.

Mike M.