[TriLUG] Loki Games closing according to F***ed Company

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu Jan 24 08:28:11 EST 2002

Unfortunately, it is true. :^(

This is bad, not just because Loki's shutting down (which is sad, but
necessary), but more importantly because it will be seen as "proof" that
Linux and gaming can't work.

For the foreseeable future, we will have to rely on the Linux-friendly
coders at game companies. Two very important ones are Carmack (at id
Software) and Vogel (at Epic). There are other efforts, like the
contractor doing Serious Sam and possibly some others, but those can't
be counted on. Those native ports alone may not be enough to help us,
since as soon as we fall too far behind on hardware support, we're
doomed completely.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\