[TriLUG] Toshiba 110CS and XFree86

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:58:44 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 15:49, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> I have found reading the docs that XFree 4.x doesn't run correctly on the
> Chips&Technologies (C&T Chipsets) due to their lack of being able to handle
> DRI commands.

It is quite possible that this statement (about DRI) is incorrect. Any
card that doesn't have 3D capabilities should still work with XFree86
4.x. In general, you can just remove DRI from the list of modules you
load and take the DRI section out of your XF86Config-4 file. *poof* No
problems with DRI. In fact, even without hardware supported by the DRI,
it should still default to software Mesa for OpenGL and still no issues
with DRI.

That being said, the Chips & Technologies video adaptors do have
problems with XFree86 4.x. I know because my laptop was using XFree86
3.3.6 after I installed Red Hat 7.2 on it. When I tried XFree86 4.1, the
X server would crash with some error message that I was able to use to
search on Google. From there I found a patch on a Debian mailing list
that I applied by hand to a copy of the XFree86 4.1 source found in the
Red Hat SRPM. With the patch, the Chips & Technologies video adaptor on
my laptop now works.

Unless I downgrade my XFree86 again, so I can find the error message, I
cannot find the patch. My search on Google just now with what I hoped
were the right search terms didn't get me anywhere.

I do not know if this was fixed in XFree86 4.2.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\