[TriLUG] win95 dead but DOS ok unable to mount win95drive

John J. Cruz casacruz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jan 24 22:22:31 EST 2002

Even though this is not a true Linux problem but a win95 problem, I
believe I cause the following problem when I installed and uninstall
linuxconf.

Using the win boot up disk I enter the c drive and proceed to do the
following:
c:\windows\win
Registry file was not found. Registry services may be inoperative for
this session.
XMS cache problem. Registry services may be inoperative this session.

VFAT Device Initialization failed.
A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is
unavailable.VFAT cannot continue loading.
System halted.

I ran Scandisk and it found no problems.  I also ran fdisk and I saw all
is normal (partition c:1, status A, Type PRI DOS, SYS FAT32)

The problem is that windows is inoperative.  I can get to all the
directories but most of the files are larger then 1.44MB.  I'VE TRIED
EVERY FILE SYSTEM ON THE LINUX SIDE TO MOUNT THE WIN95 DRIVE BUT TO NO
AVAIL. Is there a method to mount the win95 drive when win95 is dead?

My Linux box is using Red Hat Linux ver 7.2 and Ximian Destktop ver 1.0
on hdc and win95 on hda. I also have a zip drive that Linux sees but
unfortunately win can see it only if win95 is running.

Thanks for help,
jjc