[TriLUG] status of email

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 25 07:29:59 EST 2002

RR/TWC is not using Exchange.  I know this because I recently became
employed as a systems administrator in their regional data center in
Durham where the mail servers are located (Yay for me!!).  While I won't
get specific about what they are using (I'm not sure what my legal
implications are as yet), I will say that quite a bit of the RR
infrastructure is MS based, largely due to the fact that prior to the
AOL merger, RR was a joint venture between Time Warner, Microsoft, and
Compaq.  When Compaq and MS own 20% of your company, you use NT.  A
number of services have migrated to Sun, and it is possible that more
will eventually as well, but that process, as I'm sure most of you know,
will be slow in the coming, as hardware and implementation are
expensive, slow, drawn out procedures.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer