[TriLUG] status of email

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Fri Jan 25 10:40:47 EST 2002

> RR/TWC is not using Exchange.  I know this because I recently became
> employed as a systems administrator in their regional data center in
> Durham where the mail servers are located (Yay for me!!).  While I
won't
> get specific about what they are using (I'm not sure what my legal
> implications are as yet), I will say that quite a bit of the RR
> infrastructure is MS based, largely due to the fact that prior to the
> AOL merger, RR was a joint venture between Time Warner, Microsoft, and
> Compaq.  When Compaq and MS own 20% of your company, you use NT.  A
> number of services have migrated to Sun, and it is possible that more
> will eventually as well, but that process, as I'm sure most of you
know,
> will be slow in the coming, as hardware and implementation are
> expensive, slow, drawn out procedures.

> Regards,
> Ben Pitzer

Sorry it was an assumption.  Anyhow, regardless of that TWC (no offense)
has nothing that I would qualify as a reliable SMTP or POP server.
People who email me frequently get erroneous errors (despite the mail
having been delivered), I loose email, the SMTP server is down
practically every morning.

Next, I'm keenly aware before announced when EVERY new MS security flaw
is discovered because of the behavior of my email.

Now on the whole excluding the last week the reliability of the network
is at least par or slightly better (expectations may be low since the
last fast access I had was Bellsouth ADSL which was worse than dial up
for dropping carrier).  The network routing could be improved but its
faster then most places I've worked (let alone for home) so who can
complain.

So on the whole "attaboy"...on the email servers....  I'd like a new
email host ;-).

-Andy

--
www.superlinksoftware.com