[TriLUG] Internal http redirect via external web server?

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Jan 25 13:00:10 EST 2002

look at mod_proxy. A quick example that proxies
/proxied_uri to/from another server.

LoadModule proxy_module       modules/libproxy.so
AddModule mod_proxy.c
# ...
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
  ProxyPass /proxied_uri http://real.server/real_uri
  ProxyPassReverse /proxied_uri http://real.server/real_uri
</IfModule>

hth.

[2002-01-25 12:52] Jon Carnes said:
| We have an internal intranet webserver (NT based) that we want folks to be
| able to access via our Extranet (Apache cluster running on Linux servers).
| Once folks login and authenticate themselves to the Extranet, we want to
| give them access to the information stored on the internal intranet
| webserver.
|
|  - The internal webserver is not accessible to the outside world
|  - The external webcluster is actually a series of machines inside a DMZ
|  - Machines in the DMZ can access the internal webserver
|
| We want to click on a URL on the Extranet and have it display a web page
| that is on the intranet web server.
|
| I have imagined a cgi running on the external webserver cluster that does an
| http get to the intranet, and then displays the information directly to the
| user.  The cgi would modify any links that it passes to the user so that
| local referenced links would be replaced with a link pointing to the
| extranet and the CGI (with the original URL info passed as data).
|
| Thus I would go to:
|    http://www.mycompany.com/extranet/intra.cgi
|
| The CGI would get the web page from:
|    http://intranet.inside.mycompany.com/
|
| The CGI would then feed my browser the complete contents of the html file
| there (index.html), but would modify any URL's in the data stream as
| follows:
|    http://intranet.inside.mycompany.com/wyxz/abc/defg.html
| changed to...
|    http://www.mycompany.com/extranet/intra.cgi?wxyz/abc/defg.html
|
| Now when I click on one of the URL's it goes back to the extranet and the
| CGI.  The CGI then goes to the intranet webserver and does the same thing
| again.  In this way, my information on the intranet server is served up to
| users logged in to the extranet server!
|
| This seems like a problem that must have been solved before... Any help or
| advice would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Jon Carnes

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman