[TriLUG] A funny thing happened

That One Guy trilug at ichi.net
Fri Jan 25 15:18:01 EST 2002

On Friday 25 January 2002 03:12 pm, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:

> > > Ummm... why do you need to reinstall the OS because you deleted
> > > user-space files?
> >
> > Too stupid to know how to get back configurations files and <looks down
> > and kicks dirt> I didn't have a back up.
>
> Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I wouldn't expect configuration
> files to be generated in user space by an OS install; I'd think you would
> just re-run the application for the "first" time or take whatever other
> steps are involved in initial configuration. Doesn't an rm -fr ~ just make
> you effectively a new user?

That user wouldn't have a home directory until someone re-created it and got
the directory permissions right.  Actually, the easiest thing to do at that
point would probably be just userdel and useradd the user.  That would create
the home directory properly with .bashrc and such.

> Not that backups are a bad thing :)....

Oh backups are definately encouraged!  ;-)

TOG

That One Guy (TM)			trilug at ichi.net