[TriLUG] status of email

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Jan 25 17:00:42 EST 2002

Elliot said:
> i can supply ide ribon, mounting brackets, and some ram.

Who here thinks a P3 with lots of disk space is way too much for an email
server?

When I worked at Duke, a Pentium 90 was handling email for 200 or 300 people
(as well as the web site) running Slowaris/X86.

The use of IMAP is the biggest problem.

If you give 100 people email accounts with 5MB quotas, which is quite
reasonable for POP3, a very small drive will do just fine.  You will not
have 100 people with 5MB in their mailboxes either.  I'd bet most people, if
they used it at all, would just be forwarding mail somewhere else anyway.