[TriLUG] status of email

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Fri Jan 25 19:35:58 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 17:36, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 17:03, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> > Jon Carnes said:
> > > Awesome... The only part of the plan I don't like is Qmail - because the
> > > author refuses to release it as OpenSource.  I much rather prefer Postfix.
> > > Not that I'm looking a gift Qmail install in the mouth (so to speak...).
> >
> > +1.  Since this is for the LUG, I think the decision of what MTA to use
> > should reflect the LUG's dedication to open source software.  While if it
> > were my own box I might be more pragmatic about it and consider non-OSS
> > solutions, I do think the LUG should be able to say that our services are
> > provided 100% on OSS.
>
> -1, I don't agree with that as a valid reason for what software
> we should use.  I believe there are other reasons to use
> open source/free software, but I don't think we have to absolutely,
> positively, 100%, 24/7 be only approved(tm) open source
> software.  I think we *should* be pragmatic and use whatever
> works the best.
>
> I personally use qmail and like it quite a bit.  I haven't
> yet found any other mail program that will do everything
> qmail will (if anyone can suggest something, please do).
> And qmail rocks on underpowered hardware.

+1 On using free software.  You can check out all the rants you want
here (http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb)   and that about covers
it.  I feel pretty strongly about this, and I will help at any time to
install & maintain either sendmail or postfix as a free solution.  I
really don't think that the hardware is going to have much trouble with
at Celeron or higher processor levels..

Peace.

john

--